WASHINGTON/MIAMI, May 21, 2026 — US authorities have filed criminal charges against former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over the 1996 destruction of two civilian aircraft linked to the Cuban-American group Brothers to the Rescue, an incident that resulted in the deaths of four people.
The indictment, announced on Wednesday, accuses Castro and several others of conspiracy to kill American nationals, destruction of aircraft, and multiple counts of murder connected to the deadly operation near Cuban airspace.
Four Victims Killed in 1996 Plane Attack
The aircraft were reportedly operated by Brothers to the Rescue, an organisation involved in humanitarian missions and monitoring migrant activity in waters near Cuba.
The victims were identified as Armando Alejandre Jr., Carlos Alberto Costa, Mario Manuel de la Peña and Pablo Morales. Three of them were US citizens.
American officials said the charges carry severe penalties, including possible life imprisonment or capital punishment if convictions are secured in court.
US Officials Say Justice Delayed Is Still Justice
Acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the charges during a programme in Miami attended by members of the Cuban exile community.
Blanche stated that the United States had not forgotten the deaths of its citizens and confirmed that an arrest warrant had been issued against Castro, who served as Cuba’s defence chief during the 1996 incident.
He also suggested that US authorities expected Castro to eventually face the American justice system.
Cuba Rejects US Allegations
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel criticised the indictment, calling it politically motivated and legally baseless.
Havana argued that the aircraft had violated Cuban jurisdiction and claimed the action taken at the time was an act of legitimate self-defence.
Cuban state media also accused Washington of using the case to intensify pressure on the island’s communist government.
Rising Tensions Between Washington and Havana
The legal action comes amid growing diplomatic tensions between Cuba and the administration of Donald Trump.
The United States has recently tightened economic sanctions on Cuba, while Washington continues to accuse Havana of mismanagement and political repression.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio blamed Cuba’s military-linked business network GAESA for worsening economic hardship on the island, including blackouts and shortages of food and fuel.
Cuban Exile Groups Welcome the Charges
Many Cuban-Americans in Miami praised the indictment and described it as a historic moment for families seeking justice after nearly 30 years.
Relatives of the victims and anti-Castro activists said the move represented accountability for one of the most controversial incidents in modern US-Cuba relations.
Although Raúl Castro stepped away from active leadership years ago, he remains an influential figure in Cuba and is widely recognised as one of the surviving leaders of the Cuban Revolution.



No comments: